Police Officer Trainee and Certified Officer
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for enforcing laws, investigating criminal activity, and ensuring public safety.
Patrols an assigned area of the city; inspects troublesome areas and checks the security
of business establishments.
2. Enforces traffic and criminal laws; issues warnings or citations for violations.
3. Responds to calls, including major crimes, civil complaints, thefts, assaults, and family disputes.
4. Maintains detailed and accurate records; prepares required reports.
5. Conducts investigations and interrogations.
6. Serves criminal warrants, court orders, and subpoenas.
7. Performs crime prevention activities including surveillance patrols and the dissemination of information to the public.
8. Makes arrests; searches and processes prisoners; transports prisoners to holding facility.
9. Prepares and reviews case reports in order to provide accurate court testimony.
10. Enforces animal control laws; apprehends stray dogs and transports to animal shelter.
11. Directs vehicular traffic as needed.
12. Participates in public relations programs; speaks to citizen or school groups.
13. Must always tell the truth.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
1. Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations relating to the administration of criminal justice and law enforcement.
2. Knowledge of the scientific methods used in crime detection and criminal identification.
3. Knowledge of police radio communication standards.
4. Knowledge of personal computers for use in word processing and electronic communications.
4. Skill in oral and written communication.
6. Skill in the use of firearms and other equipment and vehicles used in law enforcement activities.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Sergeant - Uniform assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the local, state, and federal laws and city policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related law enforcement duties. Exposure to potentially life threatening situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to participate in the operations of the Patrol Division. Successful performance in this position contributes to the enforcement of laws and the safety of area citizens and property.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with other city personnel, representatives of other law enforcement agencies, court personnel, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office or outdoors. The employee may be exposed to cold or inclement weather, noise, contagious or infectious diseases, and potentially life threatening situations. The work requires the use of protective devices.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.