General Definition of Work
This job enforces local, state and federal laws and ordinances and protects lives and property through reactive and proactive activities, thereby protecting and improving the quality of life and the peace and well being of residents and visitors.
The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Conducts property checks and welfare checks (for example, of elderly residents)
- Maintains traffic flow and pedestrian safety by enforcing state and local traffic laws and regulations
- Investigates traffic accidents
- Cooperates with other law enforcement agencies to foster better communication and establish mutual assistance
- Intervenes in fights and family disputes
- Makes arrests
- Collects, packs, and stores evidence in accordance with established evidence handling procedures; may send evidence to State Police Crime Lab for analysis
- Assists in various phases of criminal investigations including interviewing witnesses, pursuing leads, and apprehending and questioning suspects
- Works with Commonwealth Attorney to review facts and evidence; testifies in court
- Provides security at community events
- Report hazards that endanger public safety to appropriate departments or agencies
- Responds to a variety of complaints and requests for assistance from the public and provides advice and assistance; may refer people to other agencies (for example, rescue, criminal or civil court, juvenile authorities, public works, social services, animal control, game warden)
- Maintains police duty gear, weapons, vehicles and equipment to ensure proper working condition
- Prepares and files written reports and associated paperwork as required in conjunction with these tasks
- Performs related duties as assigned.
||Scottsville Police Department
|Posting Start Date:
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Prior police or military experience preferred. Specialized education and training preferred.
Compliance with requirements of Code of Virginia Section 15.2 – 1705 as amended, which details requirements for law enforcement officers, is required by the Town of Scottsville.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of proper police procedure and protocols
- Knowledge of Penal Code, Vehicle and Traffic Law, Criminal Procedures Law, Alcohol Beverage Control Law, and local regulations and ordinances
- Knowledge of basic police equipment including weapon(s), baton, portable radio, ballistic vest
- Working knowledge of legal terminology
- Knowledge of the geography, buildings and facilities in the community
- Skill in the use of weapons
- Skill in the application of self-defense techniques
- Good oral communication skills
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public
- Ability to operate a patrol car and two-way radio during normal and emergency operations
- Ability to work under stress and pressure and remain calm in emergency situations
- Ability to analyze and react swiftly in situations involving high stress and danger
- Ability to question and interview others
- Ability to follow orders, standard operating procedures, and established protocols
Licenses or Certifications:
Valid operators license; upon appointment and thereafter, a valid Virginia Operators license
Law Enforcement Officer Certification from Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services with recertification as required by DCJS
Qualified with firearms
Completion of additional training as needed to maintain current certifications, understand changes in laws and regulations, and learn specialized services (for example, radar certification, first aid training)
Special Requirements for Appointment
United States citizenship
Sworn personnel must be able to give credible court testimony throughout their employment.
Satisfaction of the weight, medical, lengthy psychological and physical fitness requirements as established.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete Scottsville's on-line application at Job Posting: Police Officer | Scottsville, VA
||This listing expires on: 1/23/2022