(Please see our "Officer Safety Notice" at the bottom of this page.)
The Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police and Foundation offers a four-tiered approach to leadership education to cultivate and develop leaders at different stages throughout their law enforcement career:
This is a four-day training program that has been designed for those newly appointed (or soon to be promoted) as supervisors and is most applicable to individuals who have had little or no prior supervisory training. This program is designed to assist officers in their transition to their new role as supervisor.
Institute for Leadership in Changing Times (ILCT)
The Institute for Leadership in Changing Times (ILCT) is an nine-day, intensive leadership education program. This program is focused on the study of leadership at an intermediate level and is designed for individuals who currently serve in or are soon to be promoted to mid-level management positions within their organizations.
Professional Executive Leadership School (PELS)
The Professional Executive Leadership School (PELS) program is an intensive three-week leadership education program conducted in cooperation with the University of Richmond. The curriculum is liberal-arts/humanities based and focused on the study of leadership at an advanced level. This program is designed for individuals who currently serve in command/executive level positions within their agencies. The objective of this program is to acquaint participants with best practices in leadership, challenge them to reflect upon their own leadership competency, and examine ways of achieving both personal and professional growth.
In each session of PELS, a member of each class is chosen by their peers to receive this award. The purpose of this award is to recognize one member of each PELS class who has demonstrated outstanding leadership abilities throughout the PELS program.
New Chiefs / Deputy Chiefs Training
This is a four-day training program that has been designed for individuals who have been recently appointed or elected to the position of chief executive of their agency, assistant or deputy chief executive, or for those individuals who act in those roles in their absence. This program is designed to assist newly promoted/appointed executive level personnel in their transition to their new role.
Needs-based Program Discounts & Scholarships
If your agency does not have the fiscal resources to attend our programs, the VACP offers scholarships, needs-based discounts, and fee waivers to eligible law-enforcement agencies.
Officer Safety Notice
Officer safety has been a priority at VACP Training and Education programs for years. Some of the precautions that are taken include:
- The hotels used are located away from main roads, not in city centers, and not in areas that would be unsafe for attendees.
- Hotel management and staff are vetted to ensure that locations chosen are LE friendly.
- Our organization name / training name is not listed on hotel “Welcome Boards”.
- The VACP hosts hospitality in the evenings so attendees have the opportunity to network in a safe environment.
- All training rooms have locks on the doors to prevent uninvited guests from wandering into the training room.
- VACP Staff interview and vet all non law enforcement instructors that are used and personally review and approve any changes made to presentations.
- Attendees are welcome to carry firearms on their person as long as credentials are clearly displayed if carrying unconcealed.
For more information about any of these programs, contact our Programs Manager, Stephanie Diaz, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804)709-1094.